History of AHRS Amateur Radio Callsign W4AUP
Originally, the FCC callsign W4AUP was owned by William Peyton (Pete) Sides (1908 - 2009), a long time amateur radio operator (ham), who was employed by Alabama Power Company and was a member of the Society. He was 101 years old when he died.
In about 1925, he hand build a spark gap transmitter and receiver for a high school science project with individual parts he ordered from a mail order catalog. The transmitter/receiver is now on display at the AHRS Shop.
The AHRS currently has the W4AUP callsign for our active amateur station at the AHRS shop location. Many AHRS members are licensed Amateur Radio operators and members of the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the national association of amateur radio operators and the Birmingham Amateur Radio Club (BARC), the local amateur radio organization.